Any person born in Jamaica prior to 1962 August 5, who was on that date a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies
- Citizenship application form – maybe obtained at www.pica.gov.jm or from the Consulate
- Applicant’s Birth Certificate
- Mother’s/Father’s Birth Certificate
- Applicant’s parent’s Marriage Certificate.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs – both to be notarized by a Notary Public if unable to appear in person at the Consulate
- Certified copy of Parent’s Jamaican Passport or other form of Identification
- Adult applicant’s ID
Once the above documents are submitted, the application will be sent to the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency to be processed. The processing time takes approximately 3 months.
A person may be granted naturalization after a minimum period of five (5) years residency in Jamaica on application following his/her residency through either Visa or Work Permit application.
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Passport used to enter Jamaica
- Current Passport if different
- Work Permit or Exemption Certificate
- Evidence of involvement in any community activities
- Two (2) Passport size photographs
A Jamaican Passport or Travel Document may be issued on application to a non – Jamaican only after the person has obtained a Certificate of Registration or Naturalization from the appropriate authorities in Jamaica.
Applications are submitted directly to the Passport, Citizenship and Immigration Agency in Jamaica by the applicant.
- Original copy of Birth Certificate and Passport of the Jamaican National
- Original copy of Birth Certificate and Passport of the applicant (spouse)
- Original copy of Marriage Certificate
- Recent ( at most 6 months old) Police Record of the Applicant
- Income Letter and Bank Statement
- Two (2) Passport sized photographs of the Applicant
- Completed Application R1 Form (obtainable at pica.gov.jm or the Consulate.
- Letter to the Minister of National Security and Justice requesting registration as a Citizen of Jamaica.
Fee: A fee of US$290.00 is required on application. The fee is payable by Money Order
The first step in obtaining Permanent Visa status for Jamaica and eventually a Jamaican travel document is to establish residency either through Visa/Work Permit Application or Registration.
To reside in Jamaica each person should submit the following documents and particulars:
- Valid National Passport
- Evidence of financial status and means of support – e.g. particulars of pension, bank account, property owned and business investments
- Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
- Marital status – Marriage Certificate, particulars of spouse, children and other dependents
- Medical Certificate of good health
- Police Certificate from the state from which you are migrating
- Two (2) Passport size photographs
- Reasons for seeking permanent residence in Jamaica
- Names and addresses of two reputable references or acquaintances
All applications are referred to Jamaica for approval which can take up to 3 – 4 months.
Residency through Work Permit
Persons applying for residency who will require employment to maintain themselves in Jamaica must also apply for a Work Permit. On approval of the Work Permit which is usually based on a job offer, a visa is automatically granted.
Commonwealth citizens are allowed to enter Jamaica without visas and not required to have Work Permits, although it is advisable that they apply for Permits prior to arrival where employment will be sought.
By Renunciation of Jamaica Citizenship
By Renunciation of Jamaican Citizenship
The applicant should be of full age and capacity who is either a national of a foreign country or has been assured of such nationality on the condition that he/she renounces Jamaican Nationality.
- The forms should be read carefully, then completed and signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or someone authorized to administer Oaths.
- Application should be submitted to the Ministry of National Security, Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Division, 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10.
- Birth Certificate
- Jamaican Passport
- Evidence of other nationality; or proof of other nationality will be required upon the loss of Jamaican citizenship
- Two (2) passport-sized photographs certified by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or someone authorized to administer Oaths.
Fee: A fee of US$1010.00 is required on application. The fee is payable by Money Order
By Replacement of Citizenship Certificate
A letter for applying for a Certified Copy of Citizenship Certificate should be addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA)
25C Constant Spring Road
The letter should state the Name, Address, Certificate number of the applicant. The applicant is required to state what has happened to the original Certificate of Citizenship and why the certified copy is needed.
- Recent Police Report on the status of the Original Certificate
- A certified passport photograph of the applicant
A fee of US$130.00 is required on application. The fee is payable by Money Order